Men’s skincare is something that exists but only in the name. Most men’s grasp of skincare begins and ends with a razor and a soap bar. However, it is now time to understand that men’s skin also requires proper care and nutrition to keep glowing and healthy.
CAUSES OF SKIN DAMAGE IN MEN
Tedious hours in the sun are one of the major causes of skin damage. The sun emits harmful UV rays which break down collagen and elastin, the two elements responsible for youthful skin. In addition to this, smoking and consuming alcohol are other prime reasons for unhealthy skin because they won’t allow enough nutrients to get absorbed in the skin, thus forming wrinkles on the surface and making it inelastic. Lack of sleep, hydration, and poor diet are additional contributing factors to damaged skin cells. It is practically impossible to alter our routine. However, using good skin care products and a change in daily habits will make a huge difference.
BEFORE BUYING SKINCARE
There’s a vast variety of skincare brands on the market. From cleansers to moisturizers, you can find anything and everything as per your requirements. However, before buying good skin care products, you should be mindful of your skin type. It wouldn’t matter how good and effective the product is if it isn’t suitable for your skin. Products that work for someone else’s oily skin may not work for your sensitive skin. Once you understand your skin type, it’ll become easier for you to determine which products will be the best for your skin type. Along with it, you should be wary of checking the product labels. Rashes, redness, and breakouts are not cool and to avert them, you should always check the ingredients included in the product. Doing this would ensure that the products you use are safe and genuine for your skin.
SKINCARE TIPS FOR MEN
It’s time to stop skipping on skincare by following the best skin care tips for men mentioned below.
1) Cleanse: Just washing your face with a random soap bar or even shampoo isn’t enough or correct. Washing your face with a mild foaming cleanser or face wash would help absorb the oil from the surface and wouldn’t allow dirt and pollutants to seep into your pores. Cleansers should be bought according to your skin type to get the best results.
2) Repair: The skin takes time to heal from stress. Stress relates to the body’s negative reaction to bad things like Cigarette smoke, UV rays, and air pollution. Using an antioxidant serum like Vitamin C is helpful to reduce the damage. Applying it after your shaving routine will be effective.
3) Sunscreen: Sunscreen isn’t just for the beach or outdoor sports. Incidental sun exposure, like the time you spend walking, running, or doing outdoor activities adds up and causes skin damage. Any SPF over 30 provides all-around protection from the sun. If it has PA+++, then the solution is more effective as compared to others.
4) Stay hydrated: It is very important to hydrate your body. Drinking lots of water will clear your complexion and make your skin healthy. You can also add a drop or two of chlorophyll to the water to increase hydration. Drinking fresh fruits and vegetable juice is also advantageous.
5) Exfoliation: Exfoliating skin will remove the dead skin cells you naturally accumulate during the day. Physical exfoliants (scrubs) polish or buff the skin with physical ingredients to remove dead skin cells while Chemical exfoliants (AHAs and BHAs) contain ingredients that chemically break the bonds between skin cells thus unclogging your pores and help in dealing with acne scars, spots, and pigmentation. For satisfactory results, exfoliation can be done at most twice a week. It is one of the best skincare for men.
6) Moisturizing: While this isn’t a prime step, moisturizers do help in body hydration and preserving the skin’s natural moisture.
7) Shaving: Make sure you shave after washing your face. This will stop infection on your face or get your pores clogged, which can cause irritation or acne. Apply your normal shaving cream and use small strokes. Don’t shave over an area more than once. Apply only a little pressure as you shave as it will minimize the chances of ingrown hair and reduce irritation. Make sure to use a soothing aftershave like aloe vera gel. It is also important to rinse the shaving blade with hot water before you stroke again.
8) Eating habits: While changing your diet isn’t entirely possible, you should start adding food to your diet that helps in hydration (watermelon, cucumber), protection against the sun(Tomato, Green tea), less inflammation(Flax seeds, walnuts) and evens skin tone and complexion (Spinach, carrots).
It is noteworthy that buying skincare products that are effective rather than buying fancy, expensive stuff that is appealing to the eyes is considerably better and wouldn’t burn a hole in your pockets. Some of the best skin care for men recommended by dermatologists are products from Cetaphil, Neutrogena, and Kiehl’s. While it isn’t mandatory, it is highly advisable to do a patch test before using the product on affected areas. Patch tests could be done on your palms, the side of the neck below the ears, or the inside of the arm to see if the product causes any pain, discomfort, or itchiness.
you should have a skincare regime that is followed religiously every day. It may be difficult for the initial few days but once you get a hang of it, it will certainly be the most peaceful, soothing thing you will do in a day. Devoting less than 30 minutes to your skin will prevent any skin issues like itchiness, redness, acne, and infections as your routine will serve as an initial defense against the damaging effect of the environment. Your skin will stay youthful and supple. And all in all, you’ll feel good about yourself. Taking care of the skin will improve the skin’s overall appearance and texture. And at the end of the day, when you look good, you will feel much better about yourself.